I am giving Top Gun a full 10/10, partly to try and boost its overall rating (6.2 at the time of writing) which is far too low IMO.
Far too many people rip on this movie for its lack of accuracy, its shallow characters and cheesy dialogue.
However, whilst this is all true, the overall movie is incredibly well paced, acted, scripted and directed. It is a masterpiece of action movie making, and Tony Scott made a number of high quality movies.
The positives that stand out for me, that far outweigh the negatives:
1) The superb cinematography and action sequences. Some of the shots of F-14s launching and landing on the carrier at sunset are the best you will ever see in any military movie. The dog fighting scenes are incredible, and no CGI. To shoot in the F-14 cockpits Scott used the Super-35 35mm format to get widescreen cameras in the tight spaces without anamorphic lenses. As the movie was made with the Navy's blessing, full access to military assets and aid was provided, including the F-5s playing the role of Migs.
All the pedants who rip on this movie for lack of accuracy should just chill, and enjoy the stunning photography of F-14s lighting up their after-burners on take-off. The cinematography throughout the whole movie is gorgeous. Just make sure you watch it on Blu-Ray!
2) Incredible pacing and direction. Whilst the story is 1D and comic book simple, the movie is a master class of direction. Tony Scott's finest movie IMO. The movement between action, fun, romance, depression, elation is just perfectly done for a feel good action movie. There is not a single scene, or second of the movie, that is out of place. IMO the direction is as good as any of the classics from Coppola, Scorcesse, Spielberg, R Scott etc.
3) Music. Harold Faltemeyer's soundtrack is brilliant. His Top Gun theme duet with Steve Stevens on guitar just superb. Songs such as Danger Zone, Mighty Wings, and Take My Breath Away have become iconic as part of this film.
4) Acting. The actors don't really have much to work with, but ooze screen charisma. The sexual tension between Cruise and McGillis is palpable. The supporting cast are superb, Skerrit, Kilmer, Edwards, Ironside etc. put in great performances.
5) Cheesy Dialogue. The worst thing about the movie, is also one of the the best things about this movie! Who hasn't felt the 'need for speed'?
I am a fan of military jets, but not for one moment did I think Top Gun was supposed to be a documentary of Navy aviation. Judge it on what it's supposed to be, a feel good action movie with some basis in reality.
Climb into the cockpit with Maverick and Goose and enjoy the ride....!