Ok, this movie isn't bad. It entertains me when I'm on a post-apocalyptic movie kick.
The camera work and settings are well done. The acting is good. The story is decent overall, besides a few parts that always annoy me.
I'll go over those:
1. The kid. He's way too old to be such a absolute sissy. I know he's had a rougher life than any of us can imagine, but wouldn't that more likely make him a tough little dude? He constantly cries and whines. It would have been a much more effective movie if he were a) younger, b) a girl, or c) tougher
2. The cache of food and supplies they find. I guess that was put there by the only anti-gun survivalists in the USA? All that stuff and no weapons of any kind. Nope. What good are all the supplies in the world when someone with a BB gun can take it all from you? Any survivalist knows you have to be able to defend your stash because 99.9% of people don't prepare for as much as a week long ice storm, and they will take what is yours in order to survive. Also, the reasoning for leaving it was really stupid. They heard a noise...and left their best bet to survive since the day the "event" happened. If it was someone hanging around to hurt them, wouldn't they have been attacked when they left? They didn't even leave in the dark. WUT?
3. No good reason for going south. With no sunlight penetrating anywhere, it probably wouldn't be much warmer and there certainly wouldn't be anything growing there...Without sunlight, the ocean is as dead as the land. They could have said "We heard there was a call for people to go there and start a community" or something.
4. Stereotypical bad guys....another reviewer put it perfectly as "NASCAR cannibals" Deplorables, right?
5. A wimpy marine flare killing a guy from 50 yards away by hitting him in the chest. Nope, not gonna happen. It's an Estes rocket engine with some added metal/chemical powder to make it bright. It is no more powerful than one of the large bottle rockets you launch on the 4th.
This may sound like a lot of complaints, but there is more good than bad. Aside from the kid annoying me, most of my complaints are nit-picks.
Action / Adventure / Drama
Action / Adventure / Drama
It's a post-apocalyptic world, several years after whatever the cataclysmic event, which has in turn caused frequent quakes as further potential hazards. The world is gray and getting quickly grayer as more and more things die off. A man and his pre-teen son, who was born after the apocalypse, are currently on the road, their plan to walk to the coast and head south where the man hopes there will be a more hospitable environment in which to live. The man has taught his son that they are the "good people" who have fire in their hearts, which in combination largely means that they will not resort to cannibalism to survive. The man owns a pistol with two bullets remaining, which he will use for murder/suicide of him and his son if he feels that that is a better fate for them than life in the alternative. Food and fuel are for what everyone is looking. The man has taught his son to be suspect of everyone that they may meet, these strangers who, out of desperation, may not only try to ...
Uploaded By: OTTO
Downloaded 148,146 times
September 15, 2011 at 02:34 PM